Library Madness
Friday, September 08, 2006
Libraries are scary places.I never stepped in one during my school days... Not to study anyway... I'd use the library to zap notes, check mail, surf the net, and do subject registration... Anything BUT study... The atmosphere was always too quiet and too tense for me... the brain would stop functioning... which probably also explains why i never did that well in exams... same atmosphere... eeks! (of cos, it could also be the fact that i could never find a good place to study anywhere else either...)
but anyway, today's experience takes the cream.
It's proven that libraries are truly scary places.
I forced the Daddy to drag me out of bed early in the morning so that I can head down to the library to work (read: free public wireless)... Otherwise i'd sleep till 10 and feel like trash for not doing anything... I had breakfast with the Daddy and the Sister and headed down to the Library@Bugis...
Reached at about 830am... Didn't know that the study lounge only opens at 9am... But guess what I saw?

There were about 15-20 very hardworking students sitting outside the lounge, waiting for it to be opened...
By the time it was 8.58am, there were about 40-50 of them... Everyone stood up when a library staff came around to check the room, and stayed standing even when the staff left and closed the door behind him...

9am... the electronic door unlocked by itself... the crowd RAN IN

and by 9.02am... I couldn't get a seat at a table... Got stuck sitting at the sofas... My only consolation is the power point next to me, for when my lappie runs out of batt...

I have the strangest suspicion that this room is the most crowded place in the entire NLB Central. 'cept maybe for the theatre when there's a performance... but that's different... The management should consider expanding the room and extending the opening hours... A couple of extra vending machines would be cool... I'm sure they can figure out a way to make it more economically viable... Surely the crowd must mean something to them??




